E-Bike Rental at
Rent a high-quality e-bike from Haibike or Husqvarna at our hotel and explore the surrounding area at your own pace. Our modern e-bikes are very well equipped, easy to use and can be fitted with a child seat on request. Helmets are also available to hire for your safety.
With its location in the heart of Saxon Sandstone Mountains, Kurort Rathen is the ideal starting point for short and long tours: down the Elbe, you can reach the historic old town of Dresden via Wehlen and past Pillnitz Castle. Upstream, the route takes you past stunning rocky landscapes into the Bohemian Sandstone Mountains. The Elbe cycle path is well developed in both directions and leads for long stretches through the green Elbe meadows away from the main roads.
You can reach the Elbe cycle path from the Laasenhof in just a few minutes. This makes our hotel resort the ideal place for overnight stays on cycle tours along the Elbe. Relax with a cool drink after a day of exercise with a view of the Bastei cliffs or take advantage of our wellness facilities such as the sauna and pool.
Bike tour to Dresden
Cycling from the town of Rathen to Dresden is a wonderful way to explore the breathtaking Saxon countryside and discover some of the region’s most fascinating sights. Here is a route description for our hotel guests:
- Start your cycle tour directly in front of our hotel in the town of Rathen. First, you should head north on the main road to leave the village.
- Ferry ride across the Elbe: To get to the other side of the Elbe, take the ferry in the town of Wehlen. This is a charming experience where you can cross the river and enjoy the view of the vineyards.
- Pillnitz Palace: After the ferry ride, continue cycling eastwards to Pillnitz Palace. This baroque palace and its extensive gardens are well worth a visit.
- Albrechtsberg Palace, Eckberg Palace and Lingnerschloss: In Dresden, especially in the Loschwitz district, you can explore three palaces at once. Albrechtsberg Palace, Eckberg Palace and Lingnerschloss are charming examples of romantic architecture and offer breathtaking views of the Elbe and the Old Town.
- Dresden-Neustadt: Your cycle tour finally takes you to Dresden Neustadt, a lively district with numerous bars, stores and art galleries. Here you can explore an alternative side of Dresden and enjoy the unique atmosphere of the district.
- Dresden historic city center: After you have explored the Neustadt, you will reach the historic Old Town of Dresden. Here you can visit impressive sights such as the Frauenkirche, the Zwinger and the royal castle. Don’t miss the opportunity to stroll through the beautiful old town streets and experience the historical splendor of this city.
The route from Rathen to Dresden is around 25 kilometers (15 mi.) in total. Not only will you pass historic castles on your way, but you will also have the opportunity to explore the rich culture and history of the city of Dresden itself. Don’t forget to check the opening hours and prices for the castles and museums, as they can vary depending on the time of year. Enjoy your cycle tour on the Elbe cycle path and the diversity of this fascinating region!
Bike Tour intro the
Bohemian Sandstone Mountains
Not in the mood for the city? The town of Rathen is also the perfect starting point for your trip to the Bohemian Sandstone Mountains. Before you set off, take some time to explore the Bastei Bridge and the National Park in the Saxon Sandstone Mountains.
- Schmilka: Cycle along the Elbe cycle path to Schmilka, a small village on the Czech border. Here you can take a break and explore the ecological center, which is known for its sustainable agriculture and ecological projects.
- Hřensko (Herrnskretschen): Cross the border into the Czech Republic and reach picturesque Hřensko. This village is the entrance to Bohemian Switzerland and offers many opportunities for hiking and exploring the surrounding area.
- Pravčická brána (Pravčice Gate): Take a detour to the Pravčice Gate, the largest natural sandstone bridge in Europe. It is an impressive landmark and a highlight of the region.
- Tiske steny (Tissa Walls): These striking sandstone cliffs are a popular destination for hikers and climbers. They offer breathtaking views and are well worth a visit.
- Dolský mlýn (Grundmühle): On your way back to Germany, you should visit the Dolský mill in the canyon of “Edmundsklamm”, a restored watermill that now houses a museum and a cozy café.
The Bohemian Sandstone Mountains offers a unique natural landscape with deep gorges, imposing cliffs and picturesque riverbanks. The cycle tour described above takes you through some of the region’s most fascinating sights. Don’t forget to check the border regulations between Germany and the Czech Republic and have your papers ready. Have fun on your journey of discovery in Bohemian Switzerland!